The objectives of the CO-CHER project are:
- to identify key institutions (authorities and research bodies) worldwide that are willing to commit to future collaboration on Chernobyl research;
- to conduct a thorough assessment of existing infrastructures (cohorts of affected populations, dosimetry databases, and biobanks) in terms of their suitability and the areas in which they require improvement, in preparation for establishing future Chernobyl lifespan cohorts;
- to evaluate the accessibility of the infrastructures (databases, biobanks, etc.) and to establish rules for data access rights;
- to define the nature and structure of an international coordinating mechanism for future Chernobyl research; and
- to develop a long-term research plan with agreed-upon research priorities.